The day a new carpet is installed, it immediately accumulates dirt, stains, and unhealthy indoor allergens. This is virtually inevitable, no matter how much you vacuum or how careful you are. So, it will only be a matter of time before your drab carpet needs a thorough, professional cleaning.
Professional carpet cleaning works by helping you achieve a deeper level of cleanliness than you could with a standard vacuum or even a DIY machine. As a result, professionally cleaned carpet looks and smells better, lasts longer, and provides a healthier environment for you and your family.
How Do Professionals Clean Carpet?
There are different carpet cleaning methods that professionals use to loosen stubborn dirt and lift set-in stains. The most effective and most common technique is hot water extraction.
Hot Water Extraction
The appearance of vapors during this process often leads people to refer to it as steam cleaning; however, hot water extraction involves water, not steam, to clean your carpets.
To do hot water extraction, well-trained technicians use a specialized machine that:
- Injects a cleaning solution deep into your carpet’s fibers
- Agitates the solution using brushes to loosen dirt and release stains and odors
- Rinses the carpet using hot water sprayed from a high-pressure hose attached to a truck outside your home
- Vacuums the cleaning solution, water, and impurities out of the carpet and into a holding tank
- Sprays a neutralizing rinse that removes residue and helps your carpets stay clean longer
Dry Carpet Cleaning
If you cannot wait for your wet carpets to dry, another option is dry carpet cleaning. Your carpets will be ready to walk on almost immediately. This may be an ideal option if you have company arriving soon or can’t afford downtime at the office while waiting for your carpet to dry.
For this method, foam or other compounds containing cleaning agents are:
- Sprayed onto your carpets, sometimes along with a small amount of water
- Distributed using a brush or bonnet attached to a machine
- Allowed to dry completely
- Removed with a powerful suction vacuum
Is It Better to Have Carpets Professionally Cleaned?
Have you ever asked yourself why some people hire professional carpet cleaners when they could rent a carpet cleaner and clean it themselves? The truth is there is a big difference between what professionals can do and what homeowners can achieve on their own.
Pros are certified and undergo extensive training to remain current on the most successful cleaning methods for carpets and floors. For example, IICRC certified firms and employees are dedicated to attending training seminars and courses dedicated to the carpet cleaning and inspection industry.
Professional carpet cleaning services also:
- Have more expertise and know-how to tackle challenging situations, including how to treat delicate carpet fibers, removing tough stains like wine or coffee, and excessive water damage.
- Have access to machines and tools you can’t rent from your local home improvement store. This includes UV lights for locating pet stains or powerful hot water extraction equipment for thoroughly cleaning your carpet while killing dust mites and other tiny pests.
Conversely, DIY steam cleaners typically don’t:
- Heat the water to the same high temperature as professional machines. Unfortunately, this results in only partially clean carpets, and if temperatures aren’t high enough, you won’t be able to kill mold, fleas, or mites.
- Extract as much water and dirt from your carpet. This is because DIY machines aren’t as powerful as pro machines.
Other seemingly inconsequential things like how fast or slow to move across the carpet or knowing the correct amount of carpet cleaner to use are variables that add to the limited potential of DIY machines.
How Long Does It Take Carpet to Dry After Cleaning?
The hot water extraction method will leave your carpets wet for at least a few hours. However, in areas of high humidity or limited circulation, the entire drying time could take as long as 12 hours. You should avoid walking on damp areas since moisture makes the carpet attract and hold onto dirt much more stubbornly.
Professional carpet cleaners can speed up this drying process to minimize disruption to you and your family. For example, First Coast Home Pros technicians are trained to make more than one pass over each area with their extraction wand.
This is known as the double extraction method and allows them to suction even more water from your carpets.
How Should I Prepare for My Professional Carpet Cleaning?
Professional carpet cleaning companies are typically looking for ways to ensure your carpet cleaning appointment runs as smoothly as possible. They’re looking to provide you with quality cleaning and exceptional customer service. You can help them by:
- Securing your pets behind closed doors.
- Pointing out spots or stains that may need extra attention during your carpet inspection and before cleaning. This will ensure we maximize our pre-spotting techniques in that area.
- Removing fragile items from furniture surfaces, especially those we may be moving.
- Not rearranging your furniture for up to two days after cleaning. This will minimize marks and varnish stains on your newly cleaned carpet.
- Ensuring pets, small children, and soiled shoes remain off the carpet when it is drying.
- Also, be careful when stepping onto a wood or tile floor after walking on your damp carpeting.
- Notifying your technician before your cleaning if you are aware of any installation issues with your carpeting. We will take preventative measures to make sure your carpet is protected.
Enjoy the First Coast Home Pros Difference
If you’re looking to thoroughly clean your carpet by reducing allergens, dust, and mites while restoring its look and feel, call in the pros. First Coast Home Pros hires the best workers and utilizes the best tools and machines in the business to ensure we get your carpet as clean as it was the day it was installed.
Enjoy fresher, cleaner-smelling carpet that revitalizes your whole house. We welcome you to contact us with any questions you may have. To receive a free estimate for professional carpet cleaning, please give us a call or fill out our online form today.