Like most homeowners, some exterior tasks will be neglected if appearances are well kept. For instance, your home’s roof can look as good as new but harbors major issues. While cleaning your roof might not be on the top of your list when cleaning the home, it should be.
The question of how often to clean your home’s roof is one that is a bit hard to answer at times. The frequency at which you should clean your roof will depend on multiple factors but will be beneficial in the long run.
Why Is Roof Cleaning Important?
Regular home cleaning is vital to the interior of your home. So, why should exterior cleaning not be done frequently as well?
Cleaning your roof is essential to your home’s overall look and can eliminate large-scale issues down the line. When problems are monitored and caught early on, there’s plenty of time to fix common issues.
Apart from this, there are various benefits of getting your roof cleaned frequently, which include:
- Protecting the interior of your home: Cleaning your roof regularly will ensure that the interior of your home is protected from inclement weather or harsh conditions. Various factors could put your home’s structural integrity at risk, which is why it’s important to make sure your roof is always functioning to its full potential.
- Saving money in the long run: Even though the upfront costs to have your roof professionally cleaned is expensive, they will be beneficial in the long run. Additionally, repairing problems when they first become apparent can save money on major repairs in the future.
- Avoiding water damage: Water damage is the most common problem that your roof can face, costing thousands of dollars in repairs. If your roof isn’t updated during snowstorms, heavy rainfalls, or thunderstorms, water can sneak under the shingles and get into your home, causing more damage. In turn, water damage in the interior of your home can lead to health problems, mold, flooding, or mildew.
- Pest prevention: By having a strong well kept roof, bugs and critters won’t be able to infest your home. Cleaning fungus, bugs, and algae off of your roof frequently can prevent unwelcome guests in your home.
How Often Should You Clean Your Roof?
For many households, it’s recommended to have your roof cleaned by professionals at least once a year. But, the location, size of your home, the season, and roofing material will play roles in determining the frequency of roof cleaning.
The Best Method for Cleaning Your Roof
Cleaning your roof can be done in many ways. Different tools can be used, and the person doing the cleaning can differ. Sure it’s possible to clean your roof yourself, but hiring skilled roof experts, like our professionals at First Coast Home Pros, will be the best route to go.
Here are some tips for roof cleaning.
- Pressure washers aren’t always the best option. Sometimes, pressure washers will loosen shingles or damage your proof. If you need a solution to this, utilizing the sprayer attached to a simple garden hose can do the trick.
- Don’t overuse bleach or household products. When these products used for roof cleaning are expelled, chemicals can fall into the surrounding areas of your home and ruin plants, gardens, grass, or soil.
- Cleaning your roof in sunny conditions may not be best for the effects of cleaning solutions. The products you use will evaporate too quickly and limit the effects of the cleaning you are attempting to do.
- Take the necessary precautions when cleaning your roof on your own. If you are unsure about the safety of your roof or have a two to three-story home, cleaning your roof can bring many risks which you will need to be aware of.
With all the things that go into cleaning your proof on your own, it is almost always easier to reach out to professionals. By seeking the help of skilled roof cleaners, you can rest assured that your roof is being properly cleaned.
What Are Common Roof Problems That Can Arise?
When it comes to problems regarding your home’s roof, countless things could go wrong if not kept up. Some of the most common issues that your roof could face are:
- Damages in the flashing material that is found on skylights or chimneys
- Broken or even missing shingles
- Pooling water
- Freezing damages from inclement weather
- Tree damages
- Damages from debris
- Roofing materials being broken or worn out
If you face any of these issues, they should be addressed immediately. If it’s not too late, seeking the help of professionals will eliminate more severe issues down the road. But, if it is too late, have no fear.
These common roof problems can be fixed if they have started to worsen, but only through the help of professionals. Scheduling needed maintenance and repairs with a professional home service provider will ensure these issues are managed.
Speak to Us Today About Your Roof Cleaning Needs
Even if your roof has experienced issues or has significant damages, it’s not too late to seek her. The best solution is to speak to First Coast Home Pros as soon as possible. With our specialized home services, we can take on any tasks and repairs so that your home looks as good as new.
If it’s time for your regular roof cleaning, or if you want your roof inspected, contact us today. By giving us a call or filling out our online form, we can get in touch with you as quickly as possible to schedule your free estimate.